Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

My Avalon has 145,000 miles and it time front brakes

Customer Question

My Avalon has 145,000 miles and it time for a front brakes replacement. Given its age (2006) and mileage I am going to replace all the "wearable" parts - brake pads and shims, rotors, brake pad hardware, caliper bin bushings and dust boots, as I am going
to keep the car. I bought the car new and replaced the brake fluid every 30-35,000 miles. I have never had any problems with the brake cylinders leaking or sticking. I plan to keep the car another 2-3 years and then get another car. Here is my question - should
I replace the square "O" ring and the dust boots of the front brake cylinders while I am doing the rest of the wearable parts replacement or leave them alone as they should last another 50,000 miles?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Under normal circumstances where people don't change their brake fluid regular I would say you probably should change the seals or remanufactured calipers. But because of your service history and having the brake fluid changed you should be fine with the calipers that you have. If the pistons push down nice and smooth with no resistance or sticking issues and the dust boots have no tears or holes in them let it go you'll be fine for the next 50,000 miles.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, in looking over my maintenance records I can only find one brake fluid flush/replace at 110,000 miles. So needing more info in changing the "O" ring on the caliper piston.
In looking at the Toyota repair maintenance info it calls for removing the brake cylinder piston by applying air pressure by compressed air. I do not have compressed air (home garage). Is there an alternate way?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

I would not change them if you are only looking at another 50. If the flush was only don 30k miles ago you will be fine. It is only 9 years old and the rubber seals would be fine. If you choose to change them still home air pressure will pop them out or you can pump the pedal to push them out most of the way. If you do that you run the risk of pushing the master cylinder seals further then they have been and can cause issues. Pedal bleeding by pumping can also cause issue with the seals in the master cylinder so you should vacuum or pressure bleed if you do this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I flush the brake fluid myself with a vacuum will I have any issues with needing to bleed the ABS and Traction Actuator Assembly? Concern here is I don't have an intelligent tester.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

No the vacuum bleeder will pull the fluid through the system fine no need for any tester or active testing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah!! Give me a little time to think all through again and then I will get back shortly if I need clarification on anything else. Tks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, I did forget something. With a 145,000 miles do you think the rear rotors should be replaced? During the 145,000 miles I have owned (remember i bought the car new) I have replaced the pads but never turned/lathed the rotors because they were wearing well, i.e., relatively smooth rotor faces. Since the front brakes take most of the load I assume the rear rotors would last a longer time. I would use a machine shop to lathe as they do excellent work on my rotor lathing and they always measure thickness before taking the work.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

If rust and corrosion is not an issue where you live then the rotors normally can be machined one time there's 1 mm to take off. Otherwise you can buy aftermarket rotors for the rear on this for probably about $30 apiece. I would probably recommend replacing them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Again, let me "ponder" a little to see if I missed something.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

OK