Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

I have a 2001 toyota 4runner that the check engine light and

Customer Question

I have a 2001 toyota 4runner that the check engine light and traction control lights have come on. I have stopped at a Napa Auto Parts store and they told me the code they come up with is P1135. My research indicates this is not a serious problem, something to do with some type of oxygen/gas ratio, but I want to be certain and would like to get an idea of next steps before I take it to a repair shop and get charged more than is reasonable. The car drives fine otherwise. Thanks - Janelle
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place...
The P1135 is a very straight forward code pointing to a problem the A/F Sensor (Air-Fuel Ratio sensor. Very similar to an Oxygen Sensor, but "smarter" to accomodate Toyota emissions standards.). The A/F Sensor is located under the vehicle, mounted to the exhaust pipe before the Converter. With the A/F Sensor faulty it's not a "serious" problem, No. However, this sensor does play a role in the fuel/air delivery system, so there's a very strong chance that you will notice a decrease in fuel economy. And eventually, over time, this can harm the Converter and possibly lead to it's premature failure. So while not an immediate problem, definitely something to consider having addressed more sooner than later. The sensor sells for around $201 and the Labor Time Guide calls for just under an hour to complete the job. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the bot***** *****ne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can by anywhere from $85-$125 per hour. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.