Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I'm trying to get a new central locking remote key 2000 (Gen

Customer Question

Hi there, I'm trying to get a new central locking remote key for my 2000 (Gen 2) Rav4. I only have the valet key, and keys cut from the valet key. Is there anything i can do?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

The only way you can get a regular key made is to take proof of ownership to your local dealership and have them look up the original factory key code for your vehicle. They can then cut you a master key to the key code. If you do not have the immobilizer option that's all you would need to do. If you have immobilizer option then you need to have the key programmed to the computer. On some early model two thousands with the immobilizer system computer cannot be program it has to be removed and sent out and unlocked for the key to work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Toyota said as i had no master key i could not get one re-programmed. They reckoned i'd have to get a whole new ecu and all new door locks, ignition barrel etc.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

This is not true and I am surprised that the dealer told you this. The computer does not have to be replaced they're actually three or more Toyota approved locksmith repair facilities that can unlock the programming in the ECU. The computer has to be removed and sent out to do that if they confirmed that you do in fact have the immobilizer system. They have a list of all the Toyota approved locksmith that can do this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've now had the ecu replacement confirmed with two other dealers. something peculiar about the first year of the second generations. will cost me several thousand by the time i get a new electronic key, may aswell just keep unlocking the doors manually. thanks for your help anyway, but you gave me incorrect information...
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the Vehicle Identification number available?