Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 1993 toyota camry xle. No factory car alarm. No key

Customer Question

I have a 1993 toyota camry xle. No factory car alarm. No key fob. replaced the battery and now the engine wont turn over. Horn honks, flashers work, transmission is locked in park. no engine crank though. My thoughts are the anti theft system has been tripped. I need to know how to reset or disable it. Thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ.

There are three large fuses in the fuse box under the hood. ALT, AM1 and AM2. At least one of those fuses is probably blown.

These fuses are much larger than the little colored plastic ones. They bolt in so they aren't as easy to replace.

It's not uncommon to blow one of those fuses when swapping a battery. I think it's got something to do with the power surge when you put the new battery in.

The fuses have a clear cover and you should be able to see the little metal bar inside the fuse is burned in two.

Disconnect the battery when you change the fuse. Then make certain everything is turned off in the car when you hook the battery back up.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions on this or if there is anything more I can do to help you.

DJ