Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I am so upset. Bought my 2008 Toyota Solara 2 years ago with

Customer Question

I am so upset. Bought my 2008 Toyota Solara 2 years ago with 50,000 miles, now has 105,000. I changed oil regularly every 3,000 miles. NOW.. I AM PUTTING IN 2 TO 3 QUARTS OF OIL A WEEK EVEN AFTER I REPLACED VALVE COVER GASKET..HELP! One mechanic said to replace seals @ 3,500miles! Haven't even made a real dent in payments either. Read about class action law suit against Toyota for bad pistons and seals in this year model...Do I have lemon? Help!!!!!!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please advise if this is a 4 cylinder of a V6 engine. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! Thank you so much for responding so quickly.. I am wondering if I got a lemon... it is a 6 cylinder. Been reading about civil action law suit.....re 08 Solaras..

Did you replace the valve cover gaskets?Did you replace both of them?

I need to know if you did the work yourself or had someone do it for you, as I need information about the condition of the camshaft area visible with the valve cover removed on the firewall side of the engine

There are, in all honesty, only two things that cause you to put oil into the engine. One is a leak, where the oil drips out onto the ground. The other is the engine 'consumes' the oil. Consumption can be oil leaking past the piston rings, or, it can be drawn up out of the top of the valve cover nearest to the firewall, where it is then drawn into the intake manifold, where it ends up getting burnt as part of the combustion process. We have had issues with both possibilities over the years. On a higher mileage engine, carbon deposits can build up and seizes the piston rings (they actually spin around the exterior of the piston when they are working correctly). If the rings seize up, they can wear the side of the cylinder wall. Lubrication oil is not scraped away as the piston descends, leaving wet oil in the combustion area where the oil is burnt/consumed. A simple visual inspection of the camshaft area and inspection of the PCV rubber hose for wet oil would tell the technician if the oil is being drawn out of the valve cover. They should know this. A wet/dry compression test might indicate ring issues. they should know this too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you. Is there still a warranty on my car? On 105,,ooo what do you recommend I do? Take it to a Toyota dealer for a full inspection. ? Do you think I got a lemon? I have barely paid anything on the car loan thus is preposterous!!!!! Are you aware that this particular year,make and model have a history of this oil burning problem!!! ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A mechanic replaced the valve cover gasket
You need to call the Toyota Customer Experience Center at
1 8 0 0 3 3 1 4 3 3 1 Tell them your problem and ask if there is anything that they can do to assist you with the resolution of this issue. If this car was in myh shop, I would be inspecting the PCV system and doing some other checks regarding the piston rings. This diagnosis would only cost 2-3 hours of labor. The Customer Experience center has been known to help offset costs with vehicle with problems such as yours. I have worked with them several times. TGhey are really good people and will help as far as they can. You really ought to call them before you do anything else.