Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

Why does my new tacoma 4x4 make a grinding noise when it

Customer Question

Why does my new tacoma 4x4 make a grinding noise when it rocks backward in drive?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that you have a noise on your new Tacoma. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can understand what is going on with your vehicle.

Where does the noise sound like it is coming from? The rear?

Is this a manual or automatic transmission Tacoma?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have only heard it a few times I think it's coming from the middle or front but not sure. Automatic tranny.

I see. Pinpointing the location will be important for a complete fix. This should also be covered under your new warranty so that shouldn't be a problem. Also a quick note, when/if you visit the Dealer, please take a test drive with the Technician who is working on your Taco so they can hear exactly what you are talking about and there is no confusion.

What we see most often is that these Tacoma's can develop this noise due in part to the dry summer weather and them sitting around for extended periods. We most often can pinpoint the area where the noise is coming from (like a suspension spring or bushing mount) and lightly lubricate the offending parts. This will allow a smoother motion between the parts rather than a harsh friction. Does this make sense?