ToyotaTom
ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
Experience:  Toyota, ASE, MSE, MECP Certified
30956819

My name is joel. My car wont start. I started fine all day.

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** car wont start . I started fine all day. I stopped to get lunch and i came back to the car and it wont turn over at all. No clicking sounds. The dash lights and clock just flicker. Need help asap
Category: Toyota
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 1 year ago.

Hi

If the dash lights and clock flicker when you try and start it then most likely it is a dead/low battery. Have you tried having someone jump start it? I would recommend that, and if it jump starts ok then replace the battery

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i havent tried jumstarting it. Why would the battery die so suddenly though. I did drop my wife to work no problems. It started just a while ago no problems
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 1 year ago.

It's funny sometimes how that happens, and can happen completely without warning like that. I've had them where i drive all the way to work (about 50 miles each way for me) and it won't start once i shut it off in the parking lot. Sometimes a cell just dies with no notice and leaves you exactly like that.

See if you can find someone to help you jump start it. If so, i would recommend driving it directly to the parts store or walmart to buy a new battery because chances are it will leave you high and dry again once you shut the car off.

Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 1 year ago.

It seems to happen more often particularly in either the dead of summer when it's 100 degrees, or in the middle of winter if you are unfortunate enough to live in one of those states that has that evil white stuff (I'm glad I live in Florida lol) :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well im in florida also. Orlando to be exact. And it sure feels close to 100 today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems like my battery is 3 years old. It was stamped 7/12
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 1 year ago.

Jacksonville here :)

I have worked several years in Toyota dealerships in Central Florida. Seems like 3-4 years is average for a battery life. Where did you get it from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its an autocraft . I think walmart or oreillys
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 1 year ago.

Florida heat and humidity seems to be extra harsh on car batteries. Most standard batteries i've had in my personal cars only last about 3 years, 4 at the most. I did have an optima red top last me almost 8 though... until i was off-roading and it bounced out of the holder and got a little claustrophobic with the power steering pulley lol. It May be worth looking into one of those, however first thing i would do is contact the dealership or shop you purchased the last one from. There should be somewhat of a warranty on the existing battery. Most batteries have either a 3 or 5 year warranty... if yours is 3 years old it won't be "free" replacement but many times they will pro-rate the cost of the new battery

Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 1 year ago.

But all signs point to dead battery from here. I would explore that avenue first. If for some reason it won't take to a jump start (which is unlikely) we can check into some other things depending on your comfort level of mechanical ability. But i would be very surprised if it were anything else :)

Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I just wanted to follow up and see if you got it taken care of, or if you needed further assistance. Please let me know, I'm happy to help if you need it!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You were so right it was definitely the battery. Thank you very much. And i did get a discount with the core replacement . Thank you again
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 1 year ago.

Fantastic, i am glad i was able to help. Have a great rest of your week, and if you would be so kind as to rate my service it would be much appreciated :)