Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 30+ years in automotive repair.
10906483

No power to my a/c cluster ac light is on but ac doesnt work

Customer Question

no power to my a/c cluster ac light is on but ac doesnt work 97 toyota 4runner limited
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for requesting me. Give me a minute to look at the wiring diagram.
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.
Does the fan work? If it doesn't we need to check the 50 amp Heater fuse under the hood.
The next one to check is the 10 amp AC fuse. I always use a test light to check fuses. It's faster and more accurate. Just ground the black lead, then touch both metal lugs on the fuse with the key on. If the test light illuminates on both sides, the fuse is good. If it lights on only one side, the fuse is bad. If it doesn't light at all, then the fuse isn't getting power and we need to look at why.
How did you determine that there's no power to the AC cluster?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fan doesn't come on when I throw the twitch on, only the light on the a/c button is lit. Compressor does not come on
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.
OK, then we still need to check the 50 amp fuse under the hood in the fuse box. This one controls the fan.
Let me know what you find. The 50 amp fuse is much bigger than the colored plastic fuses like the 10 am AC fuse.
Do you have a volt meter and a some practice using it?