ToyotaTom
ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
Experience:  Toyota, ASE, MSE, MECP Certified
30956819

I have a 2006 toytoa camry. There was a aftermarket remote

Customer Question

I have a 2006 toytoa camry. There was a aftermarket remote start system installed, but had a short. it was killing the battery. I removed the system and hooked the one cut wire back up to the factory harness. I tried reprograming the fobs but nothing is working. Is there a way to reset something?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 1 year ago.

Did the aftermarket remote start use the Toyota factory key fobs? They should be black with 2 buttons "lock" and "unlock" and a toyota logo on the front. and look like one of the below links

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EJBY0NYQL.gif

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41L0JRry2jL._SY300_.jpg

If not, can you provide me the VIN number of your vehicle so i can see if one of those factory fobs are compatible?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They didn't use the factory fobs, but I still have the original fobs from when the car was purchased. The orginal fobs are the ones I am trying to get to work. I try reprogramming them but nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wondering if there is a fuse I am missing or a way to reset. Is there a control box for it?
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 1 year ago.

The receiver module is in the passenger "C" pillar behind the plastic trim cover by the rear windshield.

Can you confirm the procedure you are using to try and program the fobs? Do the door locks cycle like they are supposed to to confirm you are entering programming mode? Also silly question maybe, but have you confirmed the batteries are good in the fobs?

Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 1 year ago.

This is the procedure you should be using. Please try this and let me know what happens.

Insert Key in ignition
remove key
Insert key in ignition
remove key
driver's door closed
driver's door open
driver's door closed
driver's door open
Insert key in ignition
remove key
driver's door closed
driver's door open
driver's door closed
driver's door open
key in ignition
driver's door closed
ignition ON (run position, not ACC)
ignition off
remove key

Door locks should cycle. press lock and unlock at the same time on the fob. door locks should cycle once. repeat for additional transmitter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
first time I did it the locks cycled and then I could get them to do it the second or third time
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 1 year ago.

Plese clarify.... The door locks should cycle "lock-unlock" and wait. When you press the lock/unlock button together on the fob they should cycle "lock-unlock" once to confirm it learned. If nothing happens then most likely either you have a bad battery in the remote, or the remote itself is no good. The fact that the locks cycle to enter programming mode tells me it is not a fuse or anything else in the car that could be affecting operation of the receiver module.

While it is possible the door control receiver has failed, it is extremely uncommon for that to happen. 99% of the time it is a fob.

Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried replacing the remote batteries? If they've been sitting unused since the car was new in 2006 there's a good chance they are no longer good :) Sometimes it is easy to overlook the simple things, part of life i guess lol

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery's are good.when I go through programming mode the dock locks cycle once for the first fob and twice for the second fob, but still won't work after being synced with the car.
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 1 year ago.

Door locks should cycle once as soon as you enter programming mode, is this happening?

Door locks should cycle once when you program the first transmitter. cycling twice means programming has failed. Maybe try to program just 1 of the transmitters and see if that works.

If none of that works, you may possibly have a failed wireless received. It's rare, but i have seen it happen in the older Camry's and Avalon. Good news, is it's easy to replace. Pull down the plastic pillar cover and 1 bolt holds the box in, takes about 10 minutes. Bad news, it is pretty pricey from the dealership. Would probably have better luck from a junkyard