Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My 1998 Toyota Avalon when I go to start some times I have

Customer Question

My 1998 Toyota Avalon when I go to start some times I have to turn the key on & off several times to get starter to engage.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JUst Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If you have to cycle the key several times in the ignition in order to start the car, The most likely condition causing thsi is a worn set of contacts inside the starter on a device called the starter solenoid. Over time, the contacts (which deliver quite a bit of power) wear down. If this car has bnever had the contacts replaced, it is surely due for a new set of starter solenoid contacts. Your options are to remove the starter and replace the contacts with a new set (avbaialble at dealers) or, replace the starter motor. Either way, one of the other will cure the problem

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer