Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I just got off from the ghway after 400 miles travelling, I

Customer Question

I just got off from the highway after 400 miles travelling, I heard an unusual noise when I slow down the car. I drove the car to a parking lot , the noise remained when the car was in idle. Restarting the car , the noise still there. Mine is a 2005 Corolla cue under 60000 mi.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to travel another 1200 mi to get home, how serious is my problem?
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. could you please describe the unusual noise in clearer detail? Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's hard to describe but it is coming from the engine because when I stopped the car and restarted it , the noise remained. I can only say it was kind of metal crushing sound.

Start the car. Set the park brake. Go out and lift the hood. Peer into the engine compartment forn the passenger side. Listen to see if the noise is coming from the side of the engine where the belts are. If the noise is prominent in that area, you may be in need of a water pump replacement.

If this is so, 1200 miles is not a good idea.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. But can I still drive it to get replacement?

You are very welcome. Most likely, as long as no coolant is dripping onto the ground, I would say yes, but, I would really get this checked out as soon as you can. A water pump failure on the highway will result in the engine overheating, and this could damage the engine and cause you to have a really expensive engine repair, plus a tow from the highway. I would not drive it very far.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer