Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2008 tacoma 4 cyclinder when i try and start it makes a loud

Customer Question

2008 tacoma 4 cyclinder when i try and start it makes a loud noise like im still turning the key. changed starter still doing it.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. What you probably have here is either an incorrect starter, or, more than likely, the original starter damaged trhe teeth on the flywheel and causes the starter gears to 'stick' between the teeth of the flywheel. The recommendation I have for you on this request would be to remove the starter, and inspec the flywheel thru the starter hole. Rotoate the engine clockwise with a 1/2 ince breaker bar and a socket that fits on the bolt inside the crank pulley. If you see any deamage to the flywheel teeth, you will need to remove the transmission and replace the flywheel

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer