Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2000 sienna, starter motor would not shut off and burned up.

Customer Question

2000 sienna, starter motor would not shut off and burned up. replaced the starter, the starter relay is new and checked with a meter, and the ignition switch was replaced. now the parking lights come on, but no running lights (this is equiped with that option) and no headlights or high beams. all else seems fine. checked all fuses. what could have caused this?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds like a problem we have observed many tiomes in the shop. There is an electrical drvice mounted to the back of the fuse panel called an 'integration relay'. This unit is a miniature power distribution center. If it gets wet (leaking cowl panel, leaking windshield, leaning body seams, etc), we have found corrosion inside of the units. The corrosion causes a cross-circuiting, which allows certain units to continue to run (ie starters), and also will cause certain units to be inoperative. Before You do anything else, I would recommend that you (or a really good electrical tech) remove the fuse panel andf inspect the integration relay for signs of wetness and or corrosion. Replace the unit is any sign of wetness or corrosion. This is exactly what I would be doing if your vehicle was in my service department.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you, ***** ***** check this ( i am a technician for 30 years in manufacturing, not cars, but i am confident i can check this. Where is the integration relay located? and which fuse panel, there is two in the engine compartment and one under the steering wheel to the left side.

On the driver side of the dashboard, underneath. You need to remove the fuse panel to access the integration relay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Although, there was no moisture introduced, this just happened after the starter motor created a dead short by burning up. i do understand this could be years of corrosion, however, maybe a coinsidence.i will look fo this, have to drive now, otherwise i would prefer to speak. i will be on line in 45 minutes from now. would like to continue, not worried about cost. thank you.

I will be here.