Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I drive a 1989 corolla GT-S. the 4a-ge 4 cylinder, 16 valve

Customer Question

I drive a 1989 corolla GT-S. the 4a-ge 4 cylinder, 16 valve motor. I love love my car. It's practically a classic. I replaced my water pump because it seized while I was driving and put everything back together, it started up first crank but was running at a hi rev. I realized I forgot to put the o ring inside the water pump( I know I know) then took it all back apart, then put it all back together. Started back up first crank, then died and hasn't started since. I went to pull the plug wire to check for spark, one was practically welded in there. When I got it out and looked inside there was a bunch of gas. I replaced plug and wires. Still nothing. Please help. I'm a 25 yr old girl and I'm not a mechanic. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This really sounds like the car has jumped timing. The easiest way to check this is to get the crankshaft pulley Top Dead Center line aligned with the zero mark on the front of the engine. Then remove the distributor cap. Examine the end of the rotor and its location relationship to the distributor cap. If the car is 'in time', the rotor should be directly under the metal element for the number one cylinder. Can you check that and get back to me? Thanks