Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I was in a car accident with my 2006 Toyota Tacoma and had

Customer Question

I was in a car accident with my 2006 Toyota Tacoma and had to stop fast and had complete loss of my ABS Brake system. Would this problem show if I had my mechanic check my vehicle without driving it?
I have a Safe driver rating that will soon be gone since the officer gave me a careless driving ticket.
I had no brakes to avoid the collision. It drives fine and no problems light braking. Any ideas how to prove the ABS brake system was faulty ?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. if the ABS light was on before and/or during the incident, it is highly possible that the ABS system had a failure. A scan of the vehicle's ABS computer would reveal any current, pending or history trouble codes. If a trouble code is detected, it would be very useful to you with your case. The system 'remembers' problems that the system sees. The vehicle will not need to be driven to access the codes. However, a scan tool that is capable of reading ABS codes is critical here. Not all scanners can read ABS codes. Most of the lower-end scanners available today (ie 'cheaper') only read engine codes. These scanners will be of no benefit to you. The best scanner you can find it the genuine Toyota scan tool. It can read the entire system and display a lot more data than most of the other higher end scan tools on the market. If you want to the absolute best information that my assist you with your case, you need to get it hooked up to the Toyota scan tool. If there are ABS fault codes (which there could be several), you stand a very good chance of blaming the ABS for the incident.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you... That sounds like great information!

You are very welcome. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated...a bonus if you are especially happy would be wonderful. I wish you the best of luck beating that ticket.