Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Ted I have a 2001 Prius with 100K miles. I am getting a

Customer Question

Hi Ted I have a 2001 Prius with 100K miles. I am getting a C1259 code and the Toyota service department says it is a bad battery, but everything I'm reading is point to other issues. What exactly does the C1259 mean?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
This code sets when there is a fault with the High Voltage battery system or electrical system.This may not be the battery itself but may be battery connections or wiring leading to the battery itself.This will need checked/tested to locate and repair the cause.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back to me on this Pete. What is the best way to check if it's the battery or not? I am a master electrician so I do have tools and knowledge related to electrical, just not specific to hybrids.Thanks Dave
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
The first step for this code is to check for code in the high voltage system using a scan tool that is fully compatible with your vehicle to check this.Most likely you have another code set that requires a dealers scan tool to retrieve or more advanced scan tool.If this is for sure the only code to set.There isn't much of a diagnostic procedure for this code.Below are two links for the code description and check procedure.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcpln3cti9cklzl/h-08-13.gif?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nurl61p6ev78wf3/hv-08-13.gif?dl=0
CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
If any trouble occurs in the HV control system, the ECU prohibits PBS control.
Thanks Pete