Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 94 Toyota 4 Runner V6 3.0 2wd It has 3 dead

Customer Question

I have a 94 Toyota 4 Runner V6 3.0 2wd
It has 3 dead cylinders. I say dead because when I unhook the plug wires to the dead cylinders there is no difference. There is fire, there is fuel on plugs when I pulled them, so it's getting fuel. Also I have done a compression test; 150 on all cylinders. Any thoughts on what to check next?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If this vehicle was in my shop, teh first thing I would be doing is checking the timing belt. This sounds very much like your belt has jumped a couple of teeth. This will allow you to have compression, but the spark will be too late to fire the mixture. I would not be surprised for you to find that the belt has jumped.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Timing is correct, also the other 3 cylinders are working fine, keeping the engine running pretty good for only running on 3 cylinders.
Let's double check the timing. Set the crank pulley to TDC. remove the distributor cap and advise exactly where the end of the rotor is positioned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check it out in a couple of hours and get back to you.

Ok. I will be here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not been back with the vehicle yet, I will definitely rate your service once I continue with the job.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rotor points to #1 point. I found the problem, major vacuum leaks were causing lean mixture and excessive carbon build up in the intake manifold. I had 3 sticking fuel injectors. After fixing the vacuum leaks, a steam clean, and seafoam treatment 1 injector freed up. I replaced the other 2 and all is good now.
Awesome. Glad you got it all sorted out. Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you.