Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2005 toyota 4runner, my break pedal had about 1

Customer Question

I have a 2005 toyota 4runner, my break pedal had about 1 inch of travel before it applies breaks and it only does this on yhe first pump if u pump them up it acts normal and even after the first "long travel" pump it feels good...plz help
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Based on your explanation of the issue, thsi sounds a lot like you have some caliper issues. The recommendation here would be to remove the wheels and look at the brake pads. Move the calipers back and forth by hand. They should move a bit. If not, the caliper slides are seized up. . See if the the brake pads are stuck in the brake pad brackets. Either of these issues will cause a long brake pedal travel, as the caliper pistons need to move farther to cause the pads to grip the rotors. More often than not, seized brake pads are the main cause. They should be free where they are retained, not stuck and immobile. Same thing with the calipers. The body of the calipers should move a bit back and forth on the slides. If not, clean the slides and lubricate with brake caliper grease. You might want to replace the pads if they are worn low. If you are not sure of what to do here, take the vehicle to a shop and ask themn to check the pads and calipers for being seized in the brackets. They will know what you are telling them to do.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this vehicle has non floating 4-piston front calipers similar to Brembo did you not have caliper sliders are you referring to the rear because I thought the front did 70 percent of the braking and this car is 4 wheel disc brak so there is no adjusting the rear drum I was thinking that could be the cause but ruled it out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They do not have caliper sliders*** sorry

The rear calipers have slides. You need to make sure that the front brakes are not stuck where they are retained. The problem is most likely in the rear. The braking is not 70-30. If the rear brakes not working properly, you will have a long pedal stroke.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I clean and adjust the rear. ..I took off the pads lubed all points and sliders checked the caliper was sliding(I pushed the piston in just 2 duble check) they slide really nice...pads have 6 mil.....so rear breaks check out ....pedal still feels weird....I can do 50 mpg and step on break pedal 3/4 of an inch and it does NOTHING absolutely nothing when I move a 1/4 of an inch more it fully applies and breaks feel normal

Try this: Go out and get it up to 50 MPH. The press the brake pedal FAST and HARD to the 3/4 inch you speak of. See if there is a difference.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it gets better....I tried that ...fast and hard to the 3/4 of an inch and it will work....slight delay but it works......it's when applying soft to Normal breaking it happens
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's almost a scary feeling because I'm used to other cars n this car just feels like it has a delay like you would normally press the brakes and stop and this car doesn't, it leaves that scary feeling in your stomach for a split second like ur breaks are about to go all the way to the floor feeling...hard to disscribe the feeling lol

What you have on this vehicle is a system called 'electronic brake force distribution' or, EBT. The EBT system measure how hard and how fast you apply the brakes. The harder and faster you apply the brake pedal, the system activates and pressurizes the system, thusly adding hydraulic pressure. The system does feel kind of weird for the first inch or so of brake travel. Replacement of the master cylinder assembly would probably improve this condition, but, it really is not bad, so why replace it? Traditionally, these units do have a lower pedal braking feeling. If it stops good, it is probably best to not change anything