I. Silva
I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto mechanic
46707633

Need a toyota mechanic?

Customer Question

Need a toyota mechanic?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.

Is the check engine light ON or does it blink when you feel the loss of power ?

Have you try to scan the vehicle computer for trouble codes ?

It sounds like your engine is misfiring (shaking) one of the cylinders is not work ,that is why you loose power.

Do you have the 4 or 6 cylinders engine ?

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 4 cylinder engine. I have not scan the vehicle for computer trouble codes.
The light comes on once in a while even before it started shaking.
If the engine is misfiring how do I fix it?
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Hi there...as the first step I would scan the engine for trouble codes ,this will tell you which cylinder is not working and also why is the check engine light coming ON.

Bad ignition coil , spark plug (already replaced) ,vacuum leak or a bad injector are all good possibilities and in worse case a low cylinder compression.

Like I said first thing you need to find out is , which cylinder is not work and then check all the possibilities.

good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it ok to be test driving it? I have not driven it since I did the tune up. When I turn it on, it still shakes moderately.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

You can drive it for short periods of time or short trips , I would not drive it on long trips once a misfiring could ruin you exhaust cat and also burn the cylinder valves.

If you don't have a scanner , you can drive it to any major auto parts store and they will scan it for you at no charge.

If you find out the trouble code ,just bring it to me and I will tell you the next step to fix the problem, of course if the code is for a misfiring we need to go through everything I mentioned above.

Good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you so much, I really appreciate your insight and prompt response. Ill talk to you tomorrow or after i take it to the auto
part store. I live about 15 miles from an auto store. what is the top speed I should run it. I can choose to go through back roads or straight through highway.?
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Well if it is not a really bad misfiring ,like a dead cylinder ,you should have no problems either way you go.

Good luck .

Let me know.

Please rate my answer if I have helped , ask for additional info (no additional charge) if needed.

Than you very much.