Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My totota landcruiser LD4 has had two aircon compressers in

Customer Question

My totota landcruiser LD4 has had two aircon compressers in the last 18mths. the garage fitting them have said that the system turns off when at idle for long periods of time due higher pressure on the high pressure side. When the car is driven and air is flowing over the condenser all is fine. an you suggest why this problem exists.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds very much like a secondary problem that your shop is missing. Most likely, you have a sticking expansion valve in the evaporator box under the dash. This is what causes abnormal high AC system pressure. As long as you are driving the car, the pressures are reduced as the cooling effect is reducing the pressure by air passing thru the condensor. When you stop, and the (additional) air is not flowing thru the condenser, your system pressure increases. This increase in pressure is detrimental to the internals of an AC compressor. Too much pressure hurts the internal of the compressor. The recommendation I have for you on this request would be to have the expansion valve replaced, the system properly evacuated, and the recharged with the EXACT amount of refrigerant (by weight, not by guessing, as some tech are want to do) charged into the system. Once this is done, you should be POK and you compressor failures will cease.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you buy the expansion valve or do you have to get the condenser with it
You can buy the expansion valve separately.