Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Currently I am driving my wife's 2001 Toyota ghlander. We

Customer Question

Currently I am driving my wife's 2001 Toyota Highlander. We traded cars when she told me that the engine and VSC light were staying on. When I checked the gas cap it was loose, I tightened it properly and drove it for a few days but the lights stayed on. I have since replaced the gas cap with a new one but there has been no positive effect.
We have has this light problem in the past and had the sensor(s) replaced a year ago (a bit expensive). At that time the car was not shifting into overdrive properly and the replacement solved everything. Currently, the car is shifting and driving fine.
Perhaps unrelated to this, the right brake light does not come on when the brake is used. Weirdly, the bulb is OK (in fact brand new) and the tail lights are on when the headlights are on.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. Lets see what we can do to get this fixed. With the check engine light being on there should be a code stored in the computer, do you know what code is stored?