Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2003 Tundra, 2wd: occasionally while stopped at a red

Customer Question

2003 Tundra, 2wd: occasionally while stopped at a red traffic light, idling, with right foot firmly on brake, after several seconds, suddenly the engine will rev at full throttle, and lurch the vehicle forward and accelerate. It terrifies me. So far I have been able to shift into neutral to regain control. I have asked our dealer service to install a brake override. They say I must call Toyota in Torrance, California. If I do, what should I expect will happen? What is the cost to me? Can they say no, I can't get a brake override? PLEASE answer THIS question; I am NOT asking about sticky accelerator pedals. (And my accelerator pedal is not sticking on anything.)
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I am extremely familiar with this process. Please allow me to explain the procedure:

ALL incidents of acceleration must be reported (by you, the customer/owner, not a dealer) to Toyota in California. One they receive your call, they will initiate a case. Once the case is initiated, a highly qualified person will be dispatched to your area where he will inspect your vehicle. This inspection must be done on the premises of a Toyota dealership. The inspection costs you NOTHING. If you need transportation while your vehicle is being inspected, the dealer will provide you a loaner vehicle. The inspection of the vehicle takes roughly 3 to 5 hours. The technician Toyota sends is very skilled in this area, and has a host of tools and test equipment in his vehicle to perform tests to validate your issue. He will also take photographs. Once he has completed his inspection, he will file a report. Depending on the findings of his investigation, There may be other steps involved. None of this should cost you anything. If any of the dealership people tries to sell you something, call Toyota at 1 8 0 0 3 3 1 4 3 3 1 instantly and report this.

Toyota takes claims of acceleration VERY seriously. You would be best advised to call them and initiate a case. You need to get the tech involved in this issue as soon as possible. Again, this entire process should cost you nothing. You are not responsible for one penny of this investigation.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. You can request a personal phone call from our service where I can clarify any questions. I will attach a screen for that should you choose that option.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating (and possibly a bonus) would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer