Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 2003 Camry XLE shakes like a rocket ship trying to take

Customer Question

My 2003 Camry XLE shakes like a rocket ship trying to take off when I start it first thing in the mornings and when sitting at red lights. Toyota told me it was the belt tensioner. I replaced the old belt tensioner with new part, and I have the same results.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had the throttle body cleaned, O2 sensor upper bank replaced, TPS sensor clearned, and now the belt tensioner replaced and stills the same running results. Also, miles per gallon have decreased substantially. I purchased the vehicle new, and it has 203,000 miles on it. I am a single female parent trying to get someone to help me determine what is wrong with my vehicle. To no avail, nothing that has been done to the vehicle has worked thus far.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention, this is a 4 cylinder vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is much worse when the car is idling, and especially when the air conditioner is on. If I put the vehicle in neutral and rev the engine, the vibration is much better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first time I took it to Toyota, they replaced the head gasket (I had just replaced the head gasket before taking it to them), cleaned the coils, cleaned the throttle body at a cost of $400.00. This past week when I took it back to Toyota for the same problem (like a rocket ship trying to take off, this is how I described it both times to them) they told me I needed to replace the belt tensioner. They had my car for two days and charged me $105 to diagnose my vehicle. When I picked it up, it was going to cost me $465 if I had let them do the work for me. I had another mechanic put the new belt tensioner on, and this new part did not correct the problem. Since this part did not take care of the problem, Toyota's diagnosis was incorrect yet again. I really do need someone to help me determine what is wrong with my car.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Please keep in mind that the vibrations are very difficult to deal with in this type of format because I cannot feel the vibration or see what's going on with your car. Is there anyway you could post a short video clip of the steering wheel vibrating or the the engine compartment of vibrating when the problem is occurring? I would strongly recommend that you get your money back for the misdiagnosis a simple trainee technician could've told you that the tensioner was not going to cause severe vibration when and drive. Maybe a rattle but that's about it. Do you have the Vehicle Identification number?