Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

My 95 Tacoma air con lasted 19 years. Then when it quit I

Customer Question

My 95 Tacoma air con lasted 19 years. Then when it quit I took it to major Air con shop for rebuild. 6 months later compressor froze solid. Took it back they put in different (Better)compressor they said. 6 weeks later the clutch started acting up not in ageing securely. Took it back they agreed to replace the compressor and said I needed a new AC amplifier and relay. I am wondering was the second compressor maybe not compatible with the system and made the AC amplifier fail.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

The compressor is not going to have any effect on the A/C amplifier. The magnetic clutch is strictly an electromagnet that takes 12 V and turns it to mechanical energy to engage the clutch on the end of the compressor. About the only way the A/C amplifier could be damages is if there's a short in the wiring somewhere or the actual magnetic clutch itself is damaged or defective. That could theoretically overload the circuit to the amplifier. Normally the fuse protection would keep that from happening though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That clears up my concern, thanks
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome.