Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Same question, 2013 Tacoma. Checked fuses using fuse tester.

Customer Question

Same question, 2013 Tacoma. Checked fuses using fuse tester. Checked lines for fraying and did visual on bulbs. No tail lights no license plate lights
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read on the net that this problem sometimes occurs when there is a trailer wiring harness (such as Reese) tied into the system. This truck did have a plug and play adapter which I removed, but still no tail lights.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will go over the question again. Maybe the first was too vague, but I thought I was chatting with the guy from the original question. So here it is, we have a 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 4wd with 4 cyl engine. The problem is no tail lights or liscense plate lights. First thing we did was to check the fuses (number three left hand side under dash and number 4 under the hood) using a hand held fuse tester. Everything checked good. Research the internet, and saw that when Toyota Tacomas have and aftermarket trailer wiring installed, this problem occurs. The truck has a Reese plug and play trailer adapter, so we removed it and put everything back to factory. We cannot find any indications of a short. The only other thing that might come into play is that the automatic shut off for the headlights doesn't seem to work.I already paid for your service... but I am getting nowhere. I have other cars to finish, so just e-mail me if you figure it out.Thanks
Joe
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Moose, let's try again. As you can see above your reply, are the steps I went through yesterday. Today, I pulled the drivers side kick panel to see if any of the plugs located there have come loose (none noted). Every fuse under the hood and dash are showing up as good on the fuse tester, but I cannot get the tails to light up. I have t/s and brake as well as backup. It looks like the sidemarker (front) isn't working as well.
Below are the wire diagrams.The first thing I need you to do is check and see if the 10amp tail fuse has power when the lights are on. This will tell us if we are looking for a broken wire or concern prior to the fuse. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay Moose,
With the engine running and lights on, I checked the fuse panel under the dash, fuse number 3 from the left using the multimeter looking for DC volts...(prong to each side) and got nothing....so if I am correct (based on where you are going on troubleshooting this) ...this would mean my problem is from the fuse box under the hood...or a relay...to the fuse panel....??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I moved a working relay (horn) with same number into the tail relay spot, and still no change.
Under the dash remove the tail fuse and the tail relay. Turn the headlights on. The relay should have 2 pins that are battery power and one signal pin that is a ground. The other pin should have nothing, thats the one going to the removed tail fuse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not see a relay under the dash. Are we talking about the relay under the hood?
Anyway, I checked the relay under the hood and this is what I got (DC Amps)...top 2 points - - positive reading, top left point - and middle point _ positive reading...top right point - and _middle point positive....everything coming off of the bottom point is negative (no reading).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
top left top right
_ _
_ middle
_ bottom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Suggestions???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yo! Moose...are you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay...never mind...I should have known I was being scammed....thanks for nothing! Later
I went out to eat and played with my sons for a while. I work on here 10-12 hours a day and need breaks. Sorry you wish not to continue. If you change your mind and rate my response I will resume assisting.