Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Toyota 4Runner: I have a 2005 Toyota 4runner V8 with

Customer Question

Hi
I have a 2005 Toyota 4runner V8 with AC issues. Couple of months ago whenever I would have the AC running, the AC control light would ocasionally start flashing, at which point the AC compressor would stop working and ambient air would start blowing. Turning the AC on and off would make it work fine again. As time went by, the frequency of the flashing lights would increase. Now, the SC light flashes as soon as I try to turn on the AC, and the compressor does not kick in.
I replaced the magnetic clutch relay with a new one from Denso, still nothing.
What other possibilities am I looking at here?
Thanks for your help
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a voltmeter to check a few things? DO you have auto climate controls or manual?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the auto feature on my climate controls, and I will have my hands on a voltmeter in 15 mintues
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
There is no rush I will need to gather some information and look in the wiring diagram and it's really busy in the shop right now I will get back to you this afternoon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I got a hold of a voltmeter, what should I be looking for?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
At the three wire electrical connector going to the air conditioning compressor locate the blue wire with a black tracer. Carefully using a pin or back probe needle make sure you have good contact with the wire and monitor the voltage when the air-conditioning is turned on what is the voltage on this wire? When the A/C light starts to flash does the voltage continue to stay at 12 V or does it go to zero?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the AC light flashes as soon as I turn the AC on, the voltmeter reads 0.03 at the blue wire contact on first read, zero on second read. I stuck a pin in the connector and read of that.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Is the magnetic clutch relay clicking on? If you pull the magnetic clutch relay out and test all of the pins do you get any voltage to any of the pins in the junction block? As a test but the horn relay in place of the magnetic clutch relay and see if it works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled the magnetic clutch relay out and I get a reading of 13.5 on two of the 4 pins, and 0.00 on the other two. I swapped the relay out and nothing. I also have a spare magnetic clutch relay, same result.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me look at the diagram and i will get back to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks!
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
When you first turn the air conditioning on is the relay clicking on at all then clicking right back off? Are you getting any activation from any of the relays?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
I will call in 10 mins. Do you have the vehicle identification number so I can check a few things.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I hear the clicking on and off in the relay when turning the AC switch on. I will provide you the Vin shortly, as soon as I get out of work
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
That will be fine I have to leave and will not be back on until this evening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi the VIN is JTEZT14R150020001
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi juct checking to see if there was anything else I can do before taking it to the shop
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
If the relay is clicking you are certain that it is the correct relay and you have the two power supplies going to two of the pins this confirms that the ground circuit for the relay is good. This only leaves a problem between the junction block and the compressor itself for the wire that engages the magnetic clutch or the magnetic clutch itself is bad. If you are getting 12 V for the wire that activates magnetic clutch? If so then the clutch is bad or the compressor is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You mean the blue wire with the black trace? I got no readings from that wire. 0.03 I think it was in the multimeter. Would there be a possible point between the junction box and the compressor where the wire could fail?