Your Toyota Guy
Your Toyota Guy, Certified Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  I have been/am a Toyota technician for 15yrs+.
75929629

Sienna: 2006 sienna replaced ECM after trans rebuild now getting

Customer Question

2006 sienna replaced ECM after trans rebuild now getting B2799 and more
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Your Toyota Guy replied 1 year ago.
That is actually a common problem when replacing an ECM with a used one, it needs to be completely reset and the keys to the van programmed to the vehicle. The ECM you installed has to communicate with another ECU in the vehicle, since you have changed the ECM it does not know the correct ID to send to the other ECU, the reset will mate the two ECUs together. Your cheapest option for this is to call your local locksmith and tell them you need to have your keys re-seeded (technical term for the reset).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will the locksmith need the vehicle and the keys?I had the ECM programmed at the dealer they asked for the VIN and said it was all I needed

The vin being programmed to the ECM is necessary but different from the immobilizer(key) system. The locksmith will need access to the vehicle and all keys to the vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't suppose there's any way to bypass or eliminate the immobilizer system

Unfortunately not, it is designed specifically not to be bypassed for security reasons.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay I will get ahold of a locksmith I will let you know how it goes.. last question I guess is it possible for me to reseed the key myself

No, requires special scantool software and Toyota approval.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well none of the locksmith i called have a clue what i am talking about. and even the local dealership didnt understand. and i read, word for word, what you told me.

What zip code are you in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

61067

Ok, let me research...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

take yer time. my shop is closed for the day now

Ok, found an alternative method. connect terminals TC and CG of the DLC3 (see the attached picture). Then turn the ignition on and leave it for 30 minutes, then turn the ignition off and remove the jumper wire from the TC and CG terminals, then you should be able to start the car. Also make sure you connect a charger to the battery so it doesn't go dead during the process.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i already did that. the van starts fine and it drives. but it keeps wanting to downshift like its engine breaking

Ah, so you have moved on to a different issue, I will opt out so someone can help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no i have not moved on to a different issue. its the same issue i started with at top of the page. if youre opting out. please just close this post and i will open it in transmissions