Billy
Billy, Trainer/master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years - master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

Highlander: 2001 highlander, Headlights, fuel and temp gauges

Customer Question

2001 highlander, Headlights, fuel and temp gauges and dash cluster lights quit working today.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
did you check for any blown fuses?
did all the problems start at the same time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Headlights are ok. Don't know why looked off yesterday. Problems with fuel and temp gauges and instrument lights all started yesterday. Checked likely fuses - 21 and 45 are ok. Still working ok: starts and runs Front and rear lights ok incl backup, horn, AC, pwr door locks, pwr windows, radio, hazard flashers, cruise control, courtesy lights. When key is turned on, only airbag, engine, and abs brake lights come on. After about 2 seconds, abs brake light goes off. After starting, engine light goes off. Air bag remains on.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
So apart from the cluster, you have an airbag problem.
For the airbag, you need to get a scan done, to retrieve the fault codes.
Having the fault codes, i will be able to tell you what is wrong, what to check and how to check. As for the instrument cluster, we need to get this removed, to check the connectors on its back. As most commonly a loose or poor ground would cause the fuel and temp gauges to stop operating. Sometimes, if you hit the instrument panel they will start working again.
Kindly get back to me with your findings, so we proceed as needed.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried hitting. I'll hit it harder today.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Take your time... get back to me with the results...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Telling me the airbag light means an airbag problem is obvious. I had checked fuses before calling and was hoping for a answer of where to find a possible disconnected plug/wire.
I've got an appointment with the dealer.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
The connectors that are most commonly disconnected would be the ones under the front seats. Those would cause the warning light.
But either way, the system would require resetting using the scan tool.
You can get back to me wit hthe codes retrieved from the airbag system, as i should be able to explain those, and tell you exactly what and how to check as needed.
Regards,
Billy