Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 1986 Toyota 22R-E fuel injected pickup. The engine

Customer Question

I have a 1986 Toyota 22R-E fuel injected pickup. The engine runs fine when it is warming up but once it gets hot it will not idle and with occasionally spudder and get no gas when I give it gas unless I pump the pedal. Then there is times where it will idle while it is hot and run fine then 5 minutes later it with spudder and not idle. I was told by one mechanic it was the fuel injectors then told by another it wasn't. One mechanic thought it could be an electrical problem but I'm almost certain it's a fuel problem. I've changed the fuel filter, rotor cap and cleaned the rotor, and ignition coil, but not my injectors. What do you think I should try next?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for postingSince the problem is temperature related I kind of think this is an electrical issue, have you tried to check for any diagnostic codes using the check connector under the hood?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have not. What should I do now? And if I can't do it myself what should I tell the mechanic?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
You can check the codes yourself, locate the diagnostic check connector under the hood it should be near the right side fender, open the cover and look for the terminals TE1 and E1, turn the key on and put a short jumper wire between the two connectors, the engine light will start to blink, this will give you a two digit code, for example a code 21 would be two blinks followed by one and so on, please try doing this ad let me know what you get and I'll get back to you .