Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Echo: My 2003 Toyota echo temp light comes on when driving

Customer Question

My 2003 Toyota echo temp light comes on when driving for about 20 minutes with the ac on. If I turn off ac & pull over, temp light goes off. I can continue to drive & turn ac back on & about 20 minutes more temp light comes on. I turn off ac again & pull over & temp light goes off & I can continue driving. Someone said check my fan. Fan right behind radiator comes on & works fine & I'm not losing any coolant from the radiator or resivor. I did have the ac compressor put in ab8a month ago because the other one was bad. I did not have this problem before that but I don't know if thst has anything to do with it or not.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for postingThe engine seems to be running a little hotter than normal, especially with the a/c on which causes more load on the engine which in turn causes higher coolant temperatures, keep in mind that when the a/c is on the condenser also has to be cooled down, this is why there is a cooling fan for just the condenser, make sure that both cooling fans run when the a/c is on. If they do, I would recommend replacing the thermostat, if it still overheats it may have a partially restricted radiator and it may be necessary to replace it.