cardoctor71
cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MasterCertified Tehnician with 35 years experience diagnosing and repairing all makes and models of cars and trucks.
36867192

My 2004 toyota sienna sliding door won't open

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Your Toyota Guy replied 1 year ago.
Will it not open at all or will not open just using the power door button?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will not open at all, manually or electrically. I checked the fuse and it appears to be good. When it stopped working, it was trying to close. It stopped as it closed partially; then had to be closed manually but difficult to get to latch. Would not re-open.I removed the interior panel. The handles (interior and exterior) feel like the door is locked: nothing happens when you operate them. I pulled on the arm that holds the cable heads and it unlatched but did not open. The interior lock lever under the door handle will not move and is in locked position. Electric locking switch on driver's door will not move it to unlocked position. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still there?
Expert:  cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.
Most likely the latch mechanism has failed, you will have to do whatever is necessary to get door open ,then replace the latch. Best if you take vehicle to nearest Toyota dealer because once latch is replaced computer may have to be flashed to get vehicle to start because latch is part of antitheft system on this vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the "latch mechanism" the same thing as the actuator?
The latch mechanism is made up of the actuator and the lock mechanism