Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Toyota Camry hybrid: I changed spark plugs on my car and now

Customer Question

I changed spark plugs on my car and now check hybrid system is flashing and the car shut off
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a code reader to see if there are codes set in the system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Did you double check all of your connections under the hood to make sure nothing is unplugged? Did you disconnect anything as far as the hybrid battery system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a code reader and I double checked for any loose connections.. Could it be a bad plug because I had no previous problems at all
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Did it ever ready on and did the engine start up after the plug installation? Was it running poorly? Can you rent or borrow a code reader?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the engine started I put the car in reverse but the car shut down at the end of the driveway
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It never ran poorly always in good condition never had any problems at all
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
With this type of failure there will have to be some type of code set in the computer. Can you get a code reader and scan the engine control computer system to see if there any malfunction codes set? Most parts stores either loan or rent these out or you can either purchase a good code reader for about $60 these days.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll get a code reader
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Let me know when you can what the malfunction codes are set in the engine control computer. I will be online for a couple hours yet this evening. Checking for codes is the first place to always start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok as soon as I can get the codes which will probably be one day next week because I'm out of town
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The code reader didn't read any codes..but now the lights on the dashboard and the headlights are flashing and check VSC system is reading as well
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
This is probably more than we're going to be able to handle in this type of format it's a little more complicated and I'm not going to be able to go back and forth to get this resolved. You will more than likely have to have this taken to a shop that specializes electrical repair.Something is gotten pinched overlooked or broken in the engine compartment when you did the plugs that's only thing that makes any sense. I will opt out and this will allow other people to look at this question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for your help