Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2010 Tumdra Crew max. 90k miles. Purchased 2 months

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Tumdra Crew max. 90k miles. Purchased 2 months ago w/ 85k miles. When I bought it saw uneven front tire wear. Took to dealer for alignment. They aligned & said needs new rotors...did that. Drove out & handling was awful. Pulled to the right shoulder within 200 ft at 60 mph. Pulled to right when braking & shook a lot. Returned & was told needed two front tire..did that. This time I saw the alignment numbers and there was a significant amount of adjustments form prior week alignment. Rides better now but bumpy feel in rear. What's going on? Does the vehicle not have factory set values for alignment?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds very much like whoever did the alignment (assuming there is no lift kit) on this truck has an alignment machine that is seriously in need of re calibration. the adjustments you speak of magnify this hypothesis. The factory specifications are very good on this vehicle. However, if the specification calls for .5 degrees negative, and their machine sets it tp 1.7 degrees positive (but the readout state .5 negative), you get all kinds of problems. All it takes is to drop an alignment head on the floor one time MANDATES a recalibration. This costs money, especially if it was done yesterday, and they dropped a head today. My advice here would be to go to another alignment place; and ask when the machine was calibrated last. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just AnswerOn the rough ride from the rear, that usually is from tires or tire balance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure you are responding to the right person. I didn't provide any of the alignment values. I just said they were significantly different from the previous week when they supposedly did it the first time.
I understand. I was not referencing actual values; I was mentioning the distinct possibility of the readings on the machine being different than what is actually happening on the vehicle. Since the values (Alignment 1 vs alignment 2), something has happened. Either they used the wrong vehicle, the machine was out of calibration on alignment 1, or they had it calibrated between alignment 1 and 2. The numbers should be really close to each other if they did in fact perform a proper alignment the first time. This really sounds like the first alignment was completely wrong.