Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I just became a member and sent my toyota question

Customer Question

hello. i just became a member and sent my toyota question but have not received a reply
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Apologies, but could you please restate your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have a 2013 highlander and hooked up a fog light kit. i disconnected both battery terminals. when started the car, the brakes warning lights, ABS, and power steering system warning lights were on. Tried to back up the truck on my driveway and the steering was tight. pls advise. thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you can call me if it will be easier. pls advise.
This sounds like you have some blown fuses. The steering in this car is probably an electric motor. If it is hard to steer, it probably has no power coming to it. I would chekc all of the fuses in the panel under the hood and under the dash on the driver side. You probably have 2 or three blown fuses. Whcih ones they are is hard to say; I would check each and every one of them very closely. if they are all good, it is possible that the electric power steering motor has failed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the break and the ABS warning lights? I checked the fuses that i took off and they are all good. Would it be that the computer needs reset since i disconnected both terminals??
The computer, contrary to common internet myths, cannot be 'reset'. There is not such thing on a Toyota. You can update the software, perform some recalibrations with a scan too, but nothing can be 'reset' by disconnecting the battery. The computer has a small battery in it that 'remembers' certain parameters. Disconnecting the battery does not eliminate all power to the computer...thusly, the reset cannot be doneThe lights are on most likely because of the EPS issue. Toyota has a marked propensity for lighting up a lot of lights to build emphasis on the main reason for a problem. In this case, a bad EPS motor or a blown fuse will transmit this infor the ABS/TEAC/VSC system. It is common for the lights to come on; they are also designed to come on whenever the check engine light comes on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the clarification. On my display screen it said the following:Brake Malfunction- stop the vehicle and contact dealer
Check Power steering system - contact dealer
Check ABS - Have your vehicle checked by a dealerWhy did this show up and the warning lights turned on when i did not blow a fuse. The vehicle is in excellent condition. Please advise.
When you disconnected the battery, you may have lost the steerinig angle yaw sensor calibration. This would cause an issue with the EPS and light the lights. It is hard to say for sure without a scan. It is safe to say that if the lights are on, the cause will be stored in the computer. A good scan tool should be able to extract the codes. A dealer would be recommended for this, as they and only they have to tool to do the recalibration if it is needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please see attachements.
Exactly what I was talking about. If you cannot turn the steering wheel easily, you have an issue with the EPS motor, assuming the fuse is OK. This will cause issues throughout the other systems, as they are all related. Those lights would come on when you have a problem in the Electric Power Steering system. This is normal for many lights to come on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Questions sir
Can i borrow a scanner from an auto place and hook it up on the OBD and will it provide me the codes?
Can the vehicle be drivable to go to the dealer?
The choice to drive it is yours. Personally, I would get it towed to a dealer. AUto place scanners may not be compatible with your system; you could get false codes. Then you go out and buy stuff that does nto fix the problem. Let the pros handle this one. It will be cheaper in the long run. Plus, only the dealer has the ability to update the recalibrrations.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok sir. Thank you for the assistance. I still have a warranty on the vehicle; do you think this will be covered? I want to get back with you next week to let you know what the dealership say. How do i get back with you?
Depends on your warranty, there are several different warranties that can be had. Replay to this interaction, just save the link. Thanks for choosing Just Answer. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated.