Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

FJ cruiser: 2007 FJ cruiser: Brake lights don't work on either

Customer Question

2007 FJ cruiser: Brake lights don't work on either tail light, running and reverse lights work only on passenger side tail light. Turn signal works on both tail lights. What in the world could be the cause?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for postingAre you able to shift it out of park?Have you checked the 'STOP' fuse inside the cab?Do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt test light available?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed 10A stop fuse in cab and under the hood. Fuse under hood blows whenever I press the brake. Took out bulb from passenger side rear light, fuse still blew when pressing brake. Removed connections from driver side light, fuse did not blow when pressing brake.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am able to shift it out of park.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No voltmeter on station
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks , it seems there is a short in the light assembly on the left side since the fuse stops blowing when it's disconnected from the harness. Does the fuse still blow with the lights connected but the bulbs removed on the left side?