Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Tundra: i have towing tail lights on my 04 tundra but none

Customer Question

i have towing tail lights on my 04 tundra but none on the truck itself. I have checked and replaced all fuses and swapped relays still no lights
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Just to clarify you're saying that when you plug your trailer into the towing socket the illumination lights on the trailer work when the headlights/taillights are turned on however the taillights on the truck don't work? Are the front marker lights illuminating? Do the rest of the lights on the truck work the brake lights, turn signals? Does the instrument panel light up or the illumination of the radio and so on inside the truck when the taillights are turned on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
every thing else on the truck works, no tail light, I have disconnected trailer wiring harness and check voltage at bulb base to verify.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
When you say that everything else works does that include the front running lights/marker lights?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is correct.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
One last question the wiring diagram is different for double cab access cab or standard cab which version do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it is an access cab. (2 smaller rear doors)
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
ok standby
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
If the front marker lights are working correctly then the integration relay taillight switch and wiring have to be good. From the integration relay there is a separate connection that feeds a green wire that goes to the taillights for the truck. Under the driver seat locate the connector as indicated by the attached picture. Pin number two should be a green wire. Do you have 12 v with the taillights on to this green wire and is there any corrosion in this connector under the driver seat. This will be just in front of where the harness comes up through the floor in the rubber boot. Let me know you find with this and we can continue from here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will check now.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I just checked under both seats and they both have four pin connecters of which only two are connected to an occupancy sensor.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Look underneath the vehicle and locate the harness the comes up the driver side frame. Underneath of the cab just about under the driver seat you will find the harness goes up through the body and there is a rubber boot. Locate the boot under the seat on the driver side. These connectors should be just in front of that rubber boot under the edge of the carpeting. I am about finished for the evening let me know how this goes and we can continue tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A little instructional clarity goes a long ways. So after I pulled the drivers seat and carpeting I found 2, 12 pin and 1, 5 pin connectors. I tested the green wire on both and no power to either.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Click the attachment to enlarge. This is a picture of the lower left finish panel junction block/fuse block. On the backside you will find all of these connectors connector 1H is highlighted in yellow in the connector that comes out of the junction block that feeds the electrical system for the taillights for the rear. Locate pin three it should be a green wire. If there is no voltage coming out of pin three then the problem is in the junction block/integration relay assembly. If you have 12 V coming out this green wire and nothing at the connector under the seat then there is a break somewhere in the harness between that connector and the connector under the seat there are no other connectors involved. Connector 1E pin two is the green wire that feeds the circuitry for the front marker lights/running lights. As a test you could take a jumper wire from pin two in 1E connector and go over to pin three of the other connector to the green wire and see if that supplies power to the taillights for the rear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when you refer to left finish panel junction block/fuse block, is that the kick panel under the dash with a plastic nut holding it in place?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
No not the left kick panel it is the left under side of the dash it is the back of the fuse box.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Any luck on this yet?