Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Sienna: I have a 99 Sienna with 156k miles. 2nd owner and it

Customer Question

I have a 99 Sienna with 156k miles. 2nd owner and it has been well cared for. Humming noise that progressively is louder on acceleration and sometimes goes away once warmed up. Quiets down on deceleration. Toyota store diagnosed as the Tranny pump and said to replace the whole tranny. The car shifts and drives beautifully so I am unsure about timeline and that maybe there recommendation is based upon up selling me. Please help is this problem dire or can I drive it for awhile longer?
Thank you!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Before I would recommend a transmission, I most certainly would recommend that all4 wheel and hub bearings be thoroughly checked with an electronic stethoscope. Transmission failures are rare in the Toyota product line. Wheel bearin problems (which causes a humming noise) are very common, especially on high mileage vehicles. The recommendation I have for you on this request is to have the wheel bearings inspected by a good shop. I would expect him to find a bad hub bearing or wheel bearing... If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my input
Thanks for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** question. The humming/winding seems to lessen once the van is warmed up. If it is a hub bearing or wheel bearing is the possible?Thanks!
Very possible. Another possibility could be rust buildup on the edges of the brake rotors.