Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Camry: I have a 98 Camry 2.2 that keeps blowing EFI fuse when

Customer Question

I have a 98 Camry 2.2 that keeps blowing EFI fuse when ignition is turned on
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
This fuse feeds multiple circuits. What have you checked so far have you disconnected or isolated anything? Do you have any history on the car leading up to this current problem in this fuse blowing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've disconnected the fuel pump, VSV, transmission and still blowing fuses. I've Also switched out EFI Relay. Still blowing. No history of problem. Car just shut off while driving. Found blown fuse, replaced, drove a little farther. Fuse blew again and now it blows every time ignition is turned on
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Check the four wires going to each one of the four injectors. Are these wires free and clear of the valve cover or they're not pinched under the valve cover or rubbing against the intake manifold?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I also checked for that as well. All clear
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Just to clarify the fuse blows as soon as you turn the key on or do you have to go to the start position for it to blow?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On position. No wiring diagram
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Under the driver seat locate the electrical connector going to the oxygen sensor for bank one sensor two. Disconnect this connector. Does the short go away? I am about finished for the evening if you'd like to continue we will have to follow up tomorrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks. Me Too. I'll try this tomorrow and get back with you
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good day sir. Well I checked the O2 sensor connections and the fuse still blew. What other suggestions
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
All of the vacuum switching valves are controlled by this fuse and the idle air speed control valve on the bottom of the throttle body did you disconnect all of these? The one for the EGR valve the one for evap and there's also one for the charcoal canister but you can't get to that one without getting into the car is up on the charcoal canister between the two rear wheels.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've checked the egr. I'll have to get into the rest of those. Looks like this is about to be a headache
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
at least this one is staying consistently shorted so it's easier to trace down is just a process of elimination. This might be easier to do via the telephone and off-line on personal email if we get to that point I will submit the offer now and you can accept that at any time. The main power supply to any of the vacuum switching valves that is a black wire with the yellow tracer is a power feed from the EFI fuse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I might have to take you up on that offer. Let me get into it and I'll get back with you I'm sure. I won't contact too late. Are you available on weekends?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
I will be online this evening till probably 12 AM Eastern standard time. This weekend is pretty busy with a wedding and some other personal things but I should be able to squeeze some time in possibly Sunday afternoon or evening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
ok