Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Tacoma: My 2014 Tacoma headlights were shorted out while installing

Customer Question

My 2014 Tacoma headlights were shorted out while installing fog lights. The low and high beam do not come on and the light in the dash does not come on. However, when the light switch is pulled to the rear, the high beams do come on and the dash light does illuminate. Put in new headlight relay. Still same problem. Suggestions?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I heard clicking sound coming from under hood prior to headlights going out.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked all of the fuses for the headlight system to make sure none are blown and do you have power to the headlight fuses when the headlights are turned on or placed in high beam position? Do you have a voltmeter any reasonable knowledge of how to use it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, all of the fuses to the headlights are good (4 under hood). I do not have voltmeter. Are there any additional fuses I need to check? The High beams work when I pull the light switch to the rear (like flashing brights).
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Let me check the wiring diagram and I will get back to you in a bit it's really busy right now the shop.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Inside the fuse box under the hood along the left inner Fender locate the head relay. When you turn the key to the on position then turn the headlights on does this relay click on? Can you hear the relay click on? If it does not click on then remove the headlight relay with your voltmeter do you have voltage to pin number two and pin number five? See the illustration attached. If you have 12 V to pin number five then take a jumper wire and jump across to pin number three from pin number five to supply 12 V to pin number three. When doing this does this cause both low beam headlight bulbs to come on?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
I forgot the attachment here it is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No click, Yes, the lights came on when I put in jumper wire from pin 3 to 5.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hopefully this is good news?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
The old days of simply turning the headlight switch on making contact for the relay and turning the headlights on are over. Unfortunately this gets complicated from this point out. The basic overview of how the system works is the headlight switch does have contact points in it but those contact points only send a signal to the body ECU. The body ECU then turns on the headlight relay which then sends power to the headlights. The body ECU is built into the junction block on the left side of the instrument panel. There are couple of connectors between there. There are multiple fuses that power up the body ECU. Generally speaking the body ECU is very difficult to destroy by shorting something out. It's unlikely that the switch got damaged because the contact points in the switch are isolated by the body ECU from the headlight system. Specifically I need you to check the 7.5 amp ECU – B fuse do you have 12 V to it and is it blown, this fuse is in the fuse box under the hood. Then the 10 amp IG1 number two fuse. The*****LCK fuse. these two fuses are in the fuse box under the left side of the instrument panel.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All three fuses are good. What next?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Do they have 12v to them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have voltmeter, it there another way I can check?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
A simple 12 will test light will work we just need to make sure that those three fuses are being fed with 12 V they may be good and not blown but if they're not getting power to them that can be a problem upstream. A simple 12 will test light has a clamp on one end a probe on the other with a lightbulb in the handle of the test light. Most parts stores sell these reasonably cheap. You don't need a fancy power probe just a simple test light. It may be easier to take this off-line and discuss things via the telephone and private email I will submit that offer now it comes an additional cost but maybe easier to try and solve this problem. Let me know if you can get a test light and check these fuses. All you would need to do is clamp the clamp of the test light to a good clean metal ground service then carefully back probe the tiny little dimples on the backs of the fuses each side of the fuse where the dimple is touches the metal inside the fuse and should light the test light.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ECU -B 7.5 under good is good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With 12v
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Do the other two fuses I listed have 12 V? You will need some type of voltmeter or test light to continue checking for voltages at specific pins going to the turn signal switch and it will require disassembling of the dashboard to the point where you can get to connectors going to the body ECU is that something that you will be able to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IGI-2 and DR LCK have 12v
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
You need to remove the two halves of the plastic cover that goes around the steering column and the headlight switch. Once you gain access to the 20 pin electrical connector going to the headlight switch locate pin 20 which is a pink wire this is the bottom right-hand corner pin if you're looking at the connector with it disconnected. With the face of the connector pointed towards you and the lock tab at the 12 o'clock or on top position the pins are counted as follows 1 is the top left corner pin number one from left to right then the bottom row left to right. That puts pin 20 in the bottom right-hand corner. With the connector disconnected what is the voltage on the pink wire with the key in the on position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have ability to test that far right now. I will need to contact you again tomorrow with the proper tools. Will that work?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Yes