Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Avalon: what can I do about poor radio reception both AM &

Customer Question

what can I do about poor radio reception both AM & FM in my 2006 Toyota Avalon XLS
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Have you remove the radio and check the connection for the antenna or check the wiring from the antenna to the radio?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I just purchased the car used and the previous owner had dealer paperwork showing the radio was already replaced
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an ohmmeter or ability to check the antenna cable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have an ohmmeter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything I read online says there is basicly no real fix ?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me look at the system diagram and I will get back to you will more info. Just to clarify you have compared this vehicle and the radio reception with other known vehicles and it is obviously poor compared to another Avalon? You're not trying to get some obscure AM FM station that can't be picked up from other radios without static either?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I live in Philadelphia, PA the majors AM stations do not even come in ( 1060 ) and when I use the seach function in Both AM & FM I am lucky if the radio stops once
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can Toyota not think terer is a problem if so many cars have it - poor radio signal recepection
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me do some research on this and I will get back to you later today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
If the Radiohead unit has Artie been replaced once it's not likely an issue in the head unit itself. The antenna cord runs up along the a pillar then along the inside of the headliner back to the printed circuit on the rear glass. The most common problems we find are the grids on the glass being damaged or not having good contact or reception. Click this link and save the information on how to test the grid on the glass and inspected. The information to remove the radio to gain access to the Jack in the back of the radio is extremely complex and cannot be posted here. The cable itself needs to be tested from the Jack at the back of the radio all the way to the antenna grid itself and should have less than 1 ohm of resistance from one into the other and have no resistance to ground. If you're planning on taking on this project yourself and testing the cord and the antenna amplifier my recommendation would be going to www.techinfo.Toyota.com. There are multiple pages of information that you would need to save or download from the website and follow step-by-step with illustrations. They do charge $15 for a two-day subscription but you can download all of the information that you need including how to remove the radio. If you'd like to discuss this over the telephone we can remove from the site and I can get more information to you easier and quicker via the telephone and personal email. That does come an additional cost if you're interested I will submit that offer to you now.