Your Toyota Guy
Your Toyota Guy, Certified Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  I have been/am a Toyota technician for 15yrs+.
75929629

Tacoma: I would like to disable the alarm system completely

Customer Question

I would like to disable the alarm system completely on my 99 Tacoma. The red light was flashing very wierdly, not just on and off but flickering. The truck started fine until I took the battery cable off in hopes of reseting it and now it will not start at all.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Your Toyota Guy replied 1 year ago.
Are you available to discuss?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Yes, first make sure the red button/light is in the out position. then put the key in and turn it to the on position (not start), then with the key still on, push the red button to the in position and leave it in. Turn the key off and the red light should stay on solid, this shows that the alarm is bypassed. You can now start the truck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That did not work. The light was still flickering no matter what I did. It was not on/off, it flickered eraticlly like it was shorting out. I finally unplugged enough wires to disconnect the alarm. All I lost was the auto locks, plus no more alarm which was the desired outcome. I don't think I should be charged for this service but I do appreciate the effort.