Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

My 1998 Toyota camery has no reverse and acts like it is in

Customer Question

my 1998 Toyota camery has no reverse and acts like it is in drive when the indicator is in neutral do I need a new transmission
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for postingAre you able to shift it to park, once in park does it still feel like it's in gear?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it doesn't roll forward but it does act like I am holding the brake while in gear and pressing the gas other words it does rev up like its suppose to while it is in park
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** revs up in park and doesn't bog down then the shift cable is operating correctly, the feeling of it being in gear while in neutral and no reverse usually indicates a major transmission problem, I assume the fluid has been checked, does the fluid smell burned or is it discolored, that would also be a good indication of transmission failure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would a shifting position switch have something to do with it I am just trying to figure out if I need a new transmission or if it's something else I can change
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
I understand, when manually shifting to low gear then up does it shift normally?When putting it in D does it start out in low gear and then shift up automatically through all gears including overdrive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah shifts smooth from low on up when I shift manually and takes off in low when I start off in drive and shifts smooth all the way through overdrive
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
But no reverse, does it move at all in reverse, does it try to move?When in neutral does it want to go forward or just bind up? Like it wants to stall?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't move at all in reverse and is like it is in low when in nuetral it will take off find but doesn't shift out of low
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Does the check engine light turn on when driving it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check engine light on but the only thing it is showing is egr valve
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it does sound like there is a hydraulic pressure loss in the transmission most likely due to a reverse clutch failure, that's what it sounds like to me but I would recommend having a transmission shop look at it to confirm my diagnosis, most shops like AAMCO offer a free diagnostic check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome and I wish you the best of luck.