Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Toyota camry: how do i replace ignition switch on 2004 cam

Customer Question

how do i replace ignition switch on 2004 camry?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for postingAre you just going to replace the lock cylinder? Are you able to turn the switch at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The switch works just won't crank.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The switch has been acting up for a while. You can turn off engine and remove key and sometimes the car thinks it is still on, Did this and ran battery down. Can't jump it off. Replaced Battery and now everything works except car won't start.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the replyJust so I'm sure about what it is doing, does the engine turn over but not fire up and run or does nothing happen when turning the key to start?When turning the key to ON do the dash lights turn on?Is there any noise at all when trying to start it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes dash lights work headlights work . Nothing happens when turned to start.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** not so sure the switch is the problem, do you have a 12 volt test light or a voltmeter so we can verify if the switch is working?Is it automatic or manual transmission?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no test light. automatic trans
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Does it have a security system? Is there a red light on the dash flashing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no security system
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I wanted to see if voltage is getting to the starter solenoid, to eliminate the starter as the problem it could also be a problem with the neutral start switch, it's hard to say without doing some voltage tests. I'll go back to your original question about replacing the switch. There are two parts to the switch, the mechanical part and the electrical, what you should replace is the electrical part on the back of the mechanical part, you'll have to remove the covers around the steering column to get to the rear of the switch, there is on screw holding it on and it has an electrical connector on it, please keep in mind that the switch is rarely the problem so I kind of have doubts at this time if it's the actual problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well, thank you for your time.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, best of luck.