cardoctor71
cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MasterCertified Tehnician with 35 years experience diagnosing and repairing all makes and models of cars and trucks.
36867192

Highlander: The question is the same one I have. Seems car

Customer Question

The question is the same one I have. Seems car is locked out after battery discharged and jumped - can't start it. No click, nothing.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.
Has the battery been load tested? Sometimes when the battery voltage becomes very low it will trigger a vehicle's theft system once this occurs the security light in the instrument cluster will flash while trying to start the vehicle. When the battery won't accept a jumpstart it needs to be load tested before condemning the battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response. Two aspects of the problem I had. One - I was unable to jump-start my car following the jumping procedure in the Highlander car manual. The only deviation I realized later was that I attached the negative terminal of my jumper cable to an unpainted bolt attached to a sheet metal piece. Since it sparked vigorously I figured I was getting a good draw. I see now where there is a bolt on LHS of engine that Highlander manual shows to use. Still ....Secondly, the AAA guy who showed up at one point disconnected cables from battery and attached them to a portable charger he uses, effectively bypassing the dead battery. The car dashboard lights came on bright but the car would not start.The car shop I had the car towed to was able to charge battery and check draws, check vehicle charging and starting systems, and condition of battery after it was recharged there. Everything checked out OK.My question - why do you think the AAA guy was not able to start my car with his charger? This could be a nasty problem on a road trip. Why is theft system triggered by low battery voltage sometimes and do you think this is what kept his use of his power pack from succeeding?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
test email
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
test email
The AAA guy is not a licensed mechanic is my best guess, and possibly he did not have a good contact, the best possible ground spot is somewhere solid steel if nothing else the engine block will almost always work unless of course it is an aluminum block engine, yes its possible the theft system was triggered when the voltage dropped below 10 volts. I am glad you got your vehicle to a mechanic and it appears problem is solved.
Please accept my offer for further discussion