Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Camry: My compressor kicks on when I turn on the air and works

Customer Question

My compressor kicks on when I turn on the air and works for a couple of minutes then air gets warm. I have replaced the blower motor and resistor. Freon gauge starts to drop from red but compressor shuts off before it can give a reading
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for postingAre you using manifold gauges that can read both high and low pressures?Was freon added recently or anything else besides the blower motor replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also replaced the resistor. The gauges are the ones that come with the refrigerant
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the replyIt's kind of hard to diagnose an a/c system without having some low and high side pressure readings but I'll see what I can do.What was the reason for replacing the heater blower motor and the resistor?How much freon did you add using the service kit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Air wasn't working. A friend replaced those parts in his truck and it solved his problem. Thought it might work for me. I'm not sure if any freon went in. Can feels about the same
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never got an accurate reading.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Was the fan working at all before replacing it, is the fan working on all speeds now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told that my compressor was fine some time back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before the fan only worked on high. It works on all speeds now. I would hear a loud noise if I turned on the air. I don't hear that noise anymore
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Ok, since the fan is working it is not the problemOpen the fuse box under the hood and locate the a/c magnetic clutch relay, it's marked in the fuse box as MG/CLpull the relay out and switch it with the horn relay, I think it has the same configuration, see if this lets the compressor run.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Switched relays. Compressor still kicks off and horn will work with either relay
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
When turning the a/c switch on does the green indicator light turn on then flash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also replaced the ac fuse. It didn't look blown but thought it couldn't hurt. I replaced most of the fuses inside and out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No flashing
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a 12 volt test light or multimeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car ran longer this time before the air turned warm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Compressor did the same thing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How expensive is a 12 volt test light? Would a parts store carry it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O'Reillys has one
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
They are about $10, most hardware stores have them.I'm curious why the compressor turns on and then goes off, this is usually due to an overcharged or undercharged system or a restriction in the system somewhere, the reason I asked about the test light was to find out if there are two terminals to the relay that are hot with the key on, it seems the circuit is ok but the compressor is turned off sue to either low pressure or it's to high, you could try releasing whatever Freon is in there and then start over by putting about one pound of freon in then see what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the parts store
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the tester
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you use to release the freon?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
locate the low pressure port, it's the smaller one and push the center of the valve, be extra careful so the Freon does not make contact with any part of your body, use a long thin screwdriver.