Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

T100: 1996 toyota t100 cruse control cuts out when head lights

Customer Question

1996 toyota t100 cruse control cuts out when head lights are turned on or when head lights are on will not set or if it sets will turn off within seconds. What could be going on?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The Cruise control is cancelled by several things: Pressing the clutch pedal (manual trans) Shifting into Neutral. Pressing the brake pedal. Pulling the park brake on. Pressing the cruise switch. The only one of these that has anything to do with headlights would be the distinct possibility of a problem in the rear wiring (if equipped with a tow-hitch wire system). It si very possible that when you press the brake, and the brake lights illuminate, there mat be a backfeed entering the brake circuit which would mimic the pressing of the brakes. Anyplace that voltage gets into the brake circuit will cause the cruise to shut off. If there is a cross circuit at the tow harness, I would investigate this first. In fact, if this vehicle does have a towing system wire, I would remove it totally form the vehicle and then road test it. If there is no towing harness, I suspect a problem with the cruise master switch itself. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer