Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Toyota scion: I have a 2011 Toyota scion that dies every time

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Toyota scion that dies every time I pull up to a stop light, had a mechanic come out and he replaced the plugs but didn't help replaced the battery that didn't help air filter is clean ,. runs good just dies every time you let off on the gas pedal.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for posting
If the check engine light is not on the solution may be very simple, first make sure there are no vacuum hoses disconnected at the air filter housing or the intake system, if everything looks good clean the inside of the throttle body, the reason for the stalling is that over time there are carbon deposits that built up causing the throttle plate to not return to it's original position until the computer can't compensate for this any longer which causes the stalling at idle. The procedure is to remove the rubber intake hose from the throttle body, disconnect the battery, open the throttle plate all the way and using a can of throttle body/air intake cleaner and a brush to scrub all the carbon deposits out, use a rag to soak up the excess liquid and reconnect the hose and the battery and start the engine then drive it for about 15 minutes, this usually returns the idle to its factory default setting.