Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

SIENNA: I HAVE A 2004 SIENNA. A BIT OF THE GAS CAP HAS BEEN

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2004 SIENNA. A BIT OF THE GAS CAP HAS BEEN BROKEN AND IT DOESN'T CLICK IN THE WAY THAT IT DID. WILL THIS AFFECT THE DRIVING OF THE CAR AND WILL THE CAR STOP? DO I NEED TO ORDER A NEW GAS CAP.
LINDA SPEARS ***@******.***
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If the cap does not seal properly, this will cause the gasoline vapors in the tank to escape from under the cap into the atmosphere. This will not cause any driving issues, but, the check engine can and will come on, as there is a sensor that measures the pressure of the gasoline fumes in the tank (the science here is the engine actually 'consumes' the fuel fumes when driving)...if the sensor does nto see pressure under the cap, the check engine light will come on. The recommendation I have for you on this request is to not worry about it stalling out on you, because it will not. You DO need to replace the fuel cap though. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer