Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Sequoia: I have a 2003 Toyota Sequoia and the front driver

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2003 Toyota Sequoia and the front driver side power lock just stopped working. All the other doors lock and unlock with the door switch or the fob. I can still manually or with the key lock and unlock, but it doesn't respond otherwise. Is it a wiring issue or solenoid? Is there a procedure to check what the issue may be? Thanks, Paco(###) ###-####
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds very much like a solenoid issue. Since the other doors all work properly, I would not think you have a switch problem. The manual function works on that door because of a mechanical linkage connected to the key cylinder. You can remove the wire connector form the door lock solenoid and check for power. You should have power on one side when the lock button is switched to lock, and then, when switched to unlock, there should be power on the other side of the 2-wire connector. If you have power as described, replace the door lock solenoid. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** have a diagram or procedure for solenoid location and replacement? I'm sure I need to take the door apart, but once there, how do I replace the solenoid? Also, will any OEM solenoid for my car work or is this the kind of piece that I should only buy at a Toyota dealer?
The solenoid replacement is straight forward. Remove the door panel and then raise the window. Remove the bolts on the old solenoid and fit the new one to the door latch assembly Use genuine Toyota solenoid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been looking for some video or diagram of this solenoid. Is the solenoid part of the actuator? I haven't seen any solenoids listed for sale anywhere, nor been able to finds vids/diagrams. There are actuators and the little motor inside the actuators for sale. Is this the piece you think is actually bad?
The solenoid moves and changes the position of the lock lever on the door latch.