Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience:  20 years hands on,Experience cars and trucks, gas and diesel
41577536

94 Celica GT 2.2: Call me Rich.Starting the car blowed 30A

Customer Question

Call me Rich.Starting the car blowed 30A am2 fuse.Replaced condeser in the distributor.No start after few months.Condeser looked fine, but replaced OEM AND burned/positive/ 2 wire feeding the coil.Positive obviously burned.No sprak, cranks ok,when cranking the tester in the cigarette lighter drops to zero???
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pavlin Koev replied 1 year ago.
Hi Good morning! Welcome to Just Answer! My name is ***** ***** will assist you with your question! I would like to ask you if AM2 fuse continues to blow, or it is Ok now?
if not then next thing to check if you have power at Igniter.
With ignition on and while cranking you have to have battery voltage at black orange wire
If you do, replace igniter with good known one
I assume you have checked distributor cap and rotor already for carbon build up and craks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AM2 30A IS OK.IGN coil in the distributor has 12V on the feed/positive.That wire had damaged insollation/shorted to the shaft.Cap and rotor are new, just replaced before engine died on my driway.What do you call:Igniter? That square piece inside with two terminals for 12V and high voltage at the bottom/middle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And noise supressor condenser replaced and short and long wires with connector replaced and tested for voltage.AND 7.5V innside left drivers swapped with another and all have 12 on each testing points.Only 10A labelled ST /?/ no power.What it is? Pavlin?Rich
Hi Rich, Igniter or also called ignition control module.
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1993/toyota/celica/engine_electrical/igniter.html check it out here on Partsgeek.com just copy the link I have sent you here and paste in your browser.
your part number should be (###) ###-####
http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=487194
here is another site, with picture location and OEM number
you should find it behind left strut tower on a bracket
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You Pavlin, rockauto.com sells the igniter for 91.I SHALL LOCATE IT TOMORROW AND MEASURE VOLTS TOMORROW.
I ordered ign ition coil; do I need it? Rich
Hi Rich, you may not need to replace the coil. But if you want to change it, it is nor a bad Idea. Vehicle is 21 years old.
Regards, Pavlin!